[Received May 15, 1918]


Carleton House,


April 26, 1918

Dear Mother and Father:

I received Father’s letter #53 of April 3rd, yesterday. I realized that I had not received one for some time, but hardly think that it has been since April 13, when I received Father’s #51. I must have received one from Mother in between but did not record it. I have not received #47 and (according to record) #52.

I have finished all my training now, and am ready to try and do something. I have flown an S.E.5 enough to be able to play around with it, but I still cannot land it properly. I have done in two undercarriages since I have been here.

Instead of going into the pool here and hanging about until I am assigned to some duty I am going away on 7 days embarkation leave. So that while they are getting me assigned I can be having a trip. The Whitings have written to some friends in Glasgow and they have invited me to call. I expect to get into the highlands.

Frank Read has not finished his time yet so I will have to go alone.

I had a fine party Wednesday evening. I went to dinner at McIntyres. She had a Red Cross class (as pupil) on until 8 P.M. I hired a bike and abided by the bike-man’s advice—allowed myself plenty of time for the hills. It was a very good wheel, three speeds. I left here at 5:50 and got there—Sorn Castle at 7:10. The wheel worked so nicely, the afternoon was so fine, and the country so pretty that the 15 miles seemed very easy. Perhaps the goal had something to do with it. I pedaled about the immediate country until 7:50.

I wish you could have seen the dining room, and service. Absolutely class. Also an elegant meal, not to mention the company.

Mother and Father let me talk to Alison for about 3/4 of an hour after dinner, and then joined our party. I had a lot of fun dancing to the victrola. Then Mrs. played the organ and Father and daughter and I talked.

He is a retired shipowner of the firm of Maclay and McIntyre. Most of his vessels were built by Alexander Stephens, Knud’s work shop. He knows Mr. Luke of John Brown and Co. Some cousin or nephew of his is a manager at Stephens. I left at 10:30 and had a beautiful bright moonlight ride home, practically all down hill. The following day was Alison’s birthday. I thought she was 22, but she is only just 18. She has two older married sisters living in London and an older brother in France.

I received a fine letter from Margaret telling all about their place. I think it is a fine thing. I have not received the sugar or the package from Mary B. It would be better if you opened the mail that comes to 1626 for me. That letter from Carl was just some circular about a convention some time past. If you get any bills like Alumni News and Phi Theta grad. chapter and I have any money in the bank pay them. I was glad to hear about the big doings in Balto. April 5th.

I don’t know yet what goes with a commission. Finances over here are very muddled. So far we are not going to get any commutation or quarters or flying pay. When I get paid I will tell you more.



I had a package of 11 photos sent to you. Please keep what you want and distribute the rest among friends such as relatives, Mrs. Bates, Knud and Ruth Morley (Haddon Height). You can order more from the studio, select your pose and specify #45079, 29 High St. Ayr. Scot., if you like any, they are 16 shillings per dozen.

Parr took S.E.5 B660 out in the morning and then again twice in the afternoon of April 25, 1918. In the remarks column of his Pilot’s Flying Log Book he notes after his first afternoon flight “Strained Ucar. Landing”; after his second “Finished U.Carriage.” There’s no mention in the Log Book of other problems landing during this period.

The two older married sisters were Jean Galloway McIntyre (born Oct 15, 1890), who had married Sir James Hunter Blair, 7th Baronet, of Blairquhan Castle (and of the same family as Colonel James Hunter Blair, whose monument Parr noted in his letter of April 3, 1918) on May 15, 1917; and Jessie Walker Marjorie McIntyre (born November 30, 1891), who had married Guy Fitzpatrick Roger Vernon on April 30, 1914. Their brother James Gordon McIntyre (born July 21, 1896) served with the Ayrshire Yeomanry in Gallipoli and then on the Somme and had been awarded the Military Cross in 1917.366

Margaret’s letter about their place probably recounted the purchase of and move to the house in Linden (in Montgomery County, Maryland, just north of the apex of the District of Columbia) on the northeast corner of Warren Road and Salisbury Road, where Jimmy and his brothers Hooper and John grew up.

Carl was probably Carl George Kinscherf, who was Parr’s fraternity brother and treasurer of the Cornell chapter (Phi Theta) of Alpha Chi Rho.367